Master Electrician License
Responsibilities of a Designated Master Electrician
A master electrician designated by an electrical contractor is, within the scope of the designation, responsible,
- for the personal planning and direct supervision of electrical work carried out on behalf of the electrical contractor;
- for ensuring that the electrical work is carried out in accordance with applicable law, including the Electrical Safety Code, and the laws relating to health and safety and consumer protection, on behalf of the electrical contractor; and
- for other matters of a similar nature
How to become a Master Electrician
This is a licence issued to an individual who has demonstrated at least 3 years experience in the electrical trade;
- As a journeyperson electrician carrying out work under a valid C of Q, or
- Working for an electrical contractor as a licensed P.Eng. registered with the PEO, or
- Working for an electrical contractor as a CET or C.Tech registered with the OACETT.
The Master Electrician exam will take 3 hours and costs $137.00 + HST.
The Master Exam Reference Material can be downloaded for free from this website.
ESA, and other organizations, offer preparatory training. ESA offers 3 training options that include: Classroom ($826.00 + HST), On-line ($559.00 + HST) and Self-Study ($410.00+ HST)
Pre-Masters Course & Master Electrician Exam Questions & Master Electrician Licensing Questions
Who Should Apply for a Master Electrician Licence?
- Anyone who is or will be operating an Electrical Contracting Business (i.e. Sole Proprietor)
- Anyone who is or will be employed as a Designated Master Electrician for an Electrical Contracting Business
- Anyone who wishes to attain a higher level of electrical and business expertise
To be eligible for an ECRA/ESA Master Electrician Licence the applicant shall;
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- A) practising the trade of electrician — construction and maintenance, electrician — domestic and rural or industrial electrician under a certificate of qualification in the applicable trade that is not suspended, or
B) Working for an electrical contractor as a licensed P.Eng. registered with the PEO, or
C) Working for an electrical contractor as a CET or C-Tech registered with the OACETT, or
D) practising the trade of powerline technician under a certificate of qualification in that trade that is not suspended
Prohibitions, Master Electrician
- A master electrician shall not accept a designation from an electrical contractor unless the master electrician is actively employed by the designating electrical contractor.
- A master electrician shall not act in the capacity of a designated master electrician for more than one electrical contractor at a time.
- A master electrician shall not carry out electrical work unless they hold a valid certificate of qualification authorizing the carrying out of the electrical work.
What Information and Documentation is Required for Submission with the Application Form?
- Ontario College of Trades (OCOT) membership number, or CET Certificate, as applicable
- Copy of documented exam passing grade
- List of qualifying 3 year trade experience
- Employer information, if named as the Designated Master Electrician
- Passport quality and size photo
- Licence Fee (Cheque, money order or credit card) $90.40 (HST included) per year.
Application Form and process on how to apply for an ECRA/ESA Master Electrician LicenceApplication Form and process on how to apply for an ECRA/ESA Master Electrician Licence French Version What does a Master Electrician Licence Look LikeDesignated Master Electrician Acknowledgement of Responsibility - Schedule A