ESA delivers a range of services to meet its regulatory responsibilities and raise public awareness of electrical safety across the province to protect people and property from serious damage, injury or death.
- Services to Business
- Product Safety
- Publications & Reports
- Public Awareness
- Record Search & Request for Information
Ensuring electrical safety from the ground up and in workplaces across Ontario.
- Continuous Safety Services– ESA electrical inspectors assess facility safety to address specific electrical safety concerns and recommend customized services.
- Plan Review – ESA reviews electrical installation plans to ensure that Ontario Electrical Safety Code requirements have been addressed. For information on Low Voltage Plan Review Requirements (up to 750 Volts), High Voltage Plan Review Requirements (greater than 750 Volts), or to set up a Plan Review Account click here.
Ontario Electrical Safety Code Training – ESA offers a series of safety and technical training workshops for electricians and employers to be up to date on new requirements and specific sections of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code. Find out more about ESA training courses.
ESA provides inspections services to ensure electrical safety in Ontario homes, commercial and industrial installations.
- Wiring Inspections – Electrical work in all new construction and renovations must be inspected as required. Arrange an electrical inspection.
- General Inspections – A visual inspection of a facility or residence by ESA will identify whether any electrical defects need to be corrected. Arrange one by calling 1-877-esa-safe/372-7233 Frequently Asked Questions.
- Inspection Certificates – A personal record confirming that the electrical installation(s) in the home meet the requirements of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code.
Electrical Product Safety – The Ontario Electrical Safety Code defines standards for safe electrical products and installations in Ontario, to protect the public, workers, contractors and business owners. When buying electrical products, look for Recognized Marks as an assurance of quality and safety.
- Ontario Electrical Safety Code and Bulletins – Every three years the Ontario Electrical Safety Code is updated and published to reflect the most current requirements and standards for electrical installations and equipment in Ontario. And, each quarter, ESA publishes Ontario Electrical Safety Code Bulletins provide Code interpretations.
- Ontario Electrical Safety Report – ESA gathers and analyses critical data on electrical injuries, fatalities and fires in the province and publishes the findings annually in the Ontario Electrical Safety Report (OESR.).
- See the Corporate Reports section for more.
- Electrical Safety Tips – Awareness is the first line of defense to protect yourself and your property against common electrical hazards. ESA is dedicated to keeping the public safe from electrical shock and fire hazards by sharing practical electrical safety tips. Stay up to date with electrical safety Flash notices and product Safety alerts.
- Awareness Campaigns – Electricity brings comfort and modern convenience but safety hazards are present at home, at work and in the community.
- ESA’s Powerline Safety campaign Look Up. Look Out.
- Hire a Licensed Electrical Contractor and video series spread the word the word about the electrical risks around us.
- ESA welcomes all Ontarians to join the conversation on electrical safety on Twitter @homeandsafety and Facebook.
- Record Search – ESA record searches identify any outstanding notifications associated with a specific site, typically to satisfy a title search for the sale of property. Request for Record Search Application (a fee is applicable).
- Request for Information – Formal requests for information or access to records in the custody and control of the ESA are reviewed on an individual basis in accordance with our policy to ensure the requestor has a right to access the record. Request for Information Application (fee applicable in most cases)