ESA Stakeholder Engagement Principle
The objectives of ESA’s Stakeholder Engagement Principles are:
- To clearly set out norms, expectations, and guiding principles for both the organization and participants in the stakeholder engagement process;
- To establish rights, responsibilities, and obligations in a credible and effective manner;
- To guide stakeholder engagement planning and implementation;
- To promote consistency across the organization;
- To articulate principles including transparency, openness, accountability, traceability, fairness and respect; and
- To drive strategic direction and operational excellence across the organization.
- The role of ESA’s stakeholder engagement processes is to provide advice to ESA.
- Stakeholder engagement will be an essential element of the ESA’s decision making in order to improve the overall quality and effectiveness of decisions.
- ESA will provide meaningful and timely opportunities for stakeholders to provide input into decision making where ESA determines that input is warranted.
- ESA’s decision making processes will be transparent, open, and traceable.
- Stakeholder views, including minority views, will be fully communicated to decision makers prior to decisions being taken.
- ESA will strive to achieve consensus where possible. If consensus is not possible, the engagement process will produce a shared understanding of issues amongst all stakeholders.
- ESA decisions, and the rationale for decisions, will be communicated to stakeholders along with an explanation of how stakeholder input was taken into account.
- ESA will strive to be clear regarding expected outcomes to properly manage stakeholder expectations.
Participation and Process
- ESA will actively strive to earn the respect, trust, and cooperation of all stakeholders, and to create relationships that support the development of a shared vision.
- ESA’s stakeholder engagement processes will be inclusive, and will strive to ensure that the views of all stakeholder sectors with interest in an issue are captured.
- ESA will provide varying levels of stakeholder engagement for its decisions (information/education, feedback, consultation, and collaboration/consensus) based on stakeholder interest and impact, complexity/scope, and the significance of the issue to electrical safety in Ontario. ESA will strive to be transparent in communicating what level of engagement it is seeking.
- ESA will strive to achieve an equitable and effective balance among stakeholder interests, recognizing the diversity of stakeholder resources and the varying degree of impact on stakeholders.
- ESA will seek to provide a balanced approach to stakeholder engagement, in which all perspectives and experiences will be considered, and in which no constituency will have undue influence on the process.
- Stakeholders will participate in the process voluntarily and seek to build mutual understanding, trust, and respect among participants.
- ESA will seek advice and representation from both individuals and organizations that possess necessary and valuable experience and expertise. Participants representing stakeholder organizations should possess sufficient authority to represent their organization’s views, and should commit to keeping their host organizations informed of the process.
- Both ESA and its stakeholders will work to ensure that stakeholder engagement processes operate as efficiently as possible to keep resource costs to a minimum.
- ESA will use stakeholder input to develop options that attempt to facilitate resolution of differing points of view where possible.
- Stakeholder participants and ESA will promote mutual, timely sharing of relevant information (plans, new or ongoing issues, and decisions) that may impact or be of interest to the stakeholder engagement process.
- Stakeholder participants and ESA will strive to ensure that all parties possess timely, accessible, and accurate information sufficient to understand the implications of alternative courses of action.
- Stakeholder participants and ESA will strive to become as well informed as possible about all the facts relevant to the process, to communicate their views fully, openly, respectfully, courteously, and to support others in doing the same.
Implementation and Continuous Improvement
- ESA will seek to use advanced stakeholder engagement tactics and techniques to identify and gather stakeholder views in an effective and efficient manner, being mindful of stakeholder costs.
- ESA will regularly measure the effectiveness of its stakeholder engagement processes and mechanisms.