VALE Powerline Safety Awareness – Qualified Observer Training
- Completion of this training is a prerequisite to obtaining an “Authorization to Work Around Energized Overhead Conductors” at VALE Ontario properties when it is expected that work, on the surface, will encroach on the limits of approach to powerlines.
- Registration for this course is limited to contractors working on VALE property and approved VALE employees.
- Identify powerlines and the hazards they pose
- Understand the rules of working near powerlines when:
- Operating high reach equipment
- Loading and unloading material
- Describe what to do in the event a worker or equipment comes into contact with a powerline
- Understand your responsibilities:
- Under the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OH&S Act)
- As a qualified observer or “spotter” under VALE’s Standard Procedure
- Who is ESA?
- Powerline Contact Statistics
- The Electrical Distribution System
- Ground Gradients
- Powerline Safety
- Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Duties of a Signaller, or Qualified Observer
- Powerline Incidents
- VALE Ontario Ops – Maintenance Standard Procedure: Authorization to Work Around Energized Overhead Conductors
This course is offered online and in-class.
ONLINE: Registration for the online course is ongoing. To register, simply complete the registration form using Course ID 90024145 and submit the form as directed below. Upon confirmation of registration, you will receive an email with steps to follow to login to the Learning Management System to access the online course.
IN-CLASS: We currently do not have any in-class sessions. Please contact the Mining Services office for more info at 705-523-1985 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration Fees: In-class or Online $85.00 + applicable taxes, per person.
Steps to Register for a Course:
Select a VALE Powerline Safety Awareness session to attend.
Complete the Course Registration Form and mail, fax or email the form to ESA:
Electrical Safety Authority
Payment is required at the time of registration. If your method of payment is by credit card or ESA account, please provide the applicable information. If you are paying by cheque, please mail the completed form with your cheque (payable to Electrical Safety Authority) to the address noted on the form.