Customer Service
1.877.ESA.SAFE / 1.877.372.7233

Electrical Vehicle Charging Systems

Ontario Building Code Change – Electrical Vehicle Charging Systems    

On January 1, 2018 changes to the Ontario Building Code regarding electrical vehicle charging systems come into effect. These changes were made by the Ontario government’s Ministry of Municipal Affairs.

What are the Changes?

Commercial and Industrial –

In buildings other than apartment buildings, where vehicle parking spaces are location in a building, not less than 20% shall be provided with Electrical Vehicles Supply Equipment.  The remaining 80% of the parking spaces must be designed to allow for future installation of electrical vehicle charging systems. Electrical vehicle charging systems must be installed in accordance with Section 86 of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code (OESC).

Detached House, Semi-detached House or Row House (Townhouse)

Where a new house is served by a garage, carport or driveway, the following shall be installed to permit the future installation of electric vehicle supply equipment that conforms to Section 86 of the OESC:

  • a minimum 200 amp panelboard,
  • a conduit that is not less than 27 mm trade size and is equipped with a means to allow cables to be pulled into the conduit, with sealing to prevent the migration of gases, and
  • a square 4-11/16 in. trade size electrical outlet box.


What does this mean for Licensed Electrical Contractors?

This change, made by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs, simply mandates where electrical vehicle charging stations must be installed. The Ontario Electrical Safety Code has not changed how electrical vehicle charging systems must be installed.

For more information about these Ontario Building Code changes, please contact your local municipal building official.

If you have questions regarding the Ontario Electrical Safety Code, please contact the local Electrical Safety Authority Technical Advisor.

Also, the Ministry of Municipal Affairs will be releasing additional technical guidance material in the coming days. Check their website for updates or you can subscribe to CodeNews.

In the meantime, here are some Q&A’s from the Ministry of Municipal Affairs that may be helpful:

Electric Vehicle Charging Requirements Q&A: Houses

Electric Vehicle Charging Requirements Q&A: Non-Residential Buildings

More information:

Installing an Electric Vehicle Charging Station? Here’s what you need to know.